Runners  Competition Area  Region of Cluj  Transylvania

Statue of Matthias Corvinus

In front of the St. Michael's Church is the equestrian statue of the Matthias Corvinus, erected in honour of the locally-born legendary king of Hungary. The masterpiece of the sculptor Fadrusz János was exposed in 1902.

Statue of Michael the Brave

Michael the Brave was the Prince of Wallachia (1593-1601), of Transylvania (1599-1600) and of Moldavia (1600), the three Romanian principalities that he united under his rule.

The altar of the St. Michael's Church

The Gothic style Roman Catholic church was built between 1350 and 1480. The altar is the oldest part of the church, as it was built around the year 1390. The most recent part of the church is its tower, erected in neo-gothic style in 1860.

Saint George's statue

It is the authentic copy of the statue from Praga representing St. George killing the dragon. The original was made in 1373 by sculptor brothers Márton and György from Cluj.

The Tailors' Bastion

The Tailors' Bastion is located at the southeast corner of the old Cluj-Napoca citadel. It was built in the 15th century and rebuilt between 1627 and 1629. It was named after the Tailors' Guild, who took care of and guarded this part of the city.

Dormition of the Theotokos Cathedral

The most famous Eastern Orthodox church of Cluj-Napoca was built between 1923 and 1933 in a Romanian Brâncovenesc style, a synthesis of Renaissance and Byzantine architecture.

Reformed Fortress Church

Was built the Minorite order, with support of King Matthias, between 1486 and 1516 in gothic style. In 1580 it was given to the Jesuits. It gets in the possession of reformeds in 1622.

Calvaria Church, Mănăştur

On of the oldest Benedectine monatic church from the 11th century. It was destroid in the Tartar invasion and rebuilt at the end of the 13th century. It was partial rebuilt in 1896.

Piarists' Church's (interior)

It is the biggest and oldest Baroque church of Cluj. Built between 1718-24 for the Jesuits, but after the abolition of this order (in 1773 by Pope Clement XIV), Empress Maria Theresa transferred the church to the Piarists in 1776.

The "Din Deal Orthodox Church"

The Church was built between 1795 and 1796 by the local merchants and craftsmen. Greek and Macedonian merchants living in Cluj, as well as Romanian merchants from Brasov, offered the financial means necessary for this building.

St. Peter's Church

The church was rebuilt around the year 1850 in neo-gothic style, on the location of a more ancient church.

Reformed church with two towers

It was built between 1829-51 on place of the old wooden-made church. It is the biggest and most beautiful Neo-classicist church from Transylvania. The interior was formed in 1875.

Franciscan Church and Monastery

It was built between 1260 and 1290, on the site of an older Catholic church destroyed during the Tatar invasions in 1241. The Franciscans' Monastery is a gothic construction dating from the 15th century. The church had initially been a Dominican gothic church; it was offered as a gift to the Franciscans who restored it in baroque style around the year 1728.

Evangelic Church

It was built between 1816-29 in a late Baroque style. its foundation was made by stones taken from medieval walls of the city.

Transfiguration Cathedral

The Greek-Catholic Cathedral, also known as the Minorites' Church, it was built between 1775 - 83 by the Minorite order in baroque style. Was donated in 1924 by the Holy See to the Romanian Greek-Catholic Church.

Birthplace of Matthias Corvinus

Built in the first half of the 15th century is the oldest Baroque style store-house in Cluj. During its history, the house served as a jail, hospital, and museum; it is now home to a visual arts institute.

Lucian Blaga National Theatre

Was built between 1904 and 1906 by the famous Austrian architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer. The hall initially had a capacity of 928 places, being conceived in the Neo-baroque style, with some inflexions inspired by the Secessionism in the decoration of the foyer. Between 1950 and 1956 the stage house was extended to 1200 seats.

Botanical Garden

Was founded in 1920 by Alexandru Borza. The garden is over 14 hectares in area, with over 10,000 plants from throughout the world. Among the Botanical Garden's interesting attractions are the Japanese Garden.

Turda Gorges (Natural reservations)

Immense natural monument carved in rock by the Hasdate River. Here you can find approximately 1000 species of plants and animals, many of which are rare. The relief is formed from Jurassic limestone came lofty peaks, caves, sinkholes and vertical walls.

Salt Mine Turda

Exploitation of salt began in the roman period. At the beginning of the 18th century the salt mines of Turda were the most important in Transylvania. Franz Jozef Gallery, Rudolf Mine (80m long, 50m wide, 40m tall), Teresa Mine (112m tall), the Ghizela room, and the Altar room all represent the mystery of the Turda Salt Mine!

National Ethnographic Park

The scientific plan of the Park was elaborated in 1929 by Romulus Vuia. The peasant farmsteads transferred in the Ethnographical Park reflect the typology of the dwellings from the area they were found out, of the farmsteads, of the house and of the economical attached buildings.

Wood church from Nadaş

Wood church from Finişel

It was built in 15th century.

Castrum Leta (Géczy castle)

Castrum Leta was built before 1324. Géczy castle was rebuilt in 1569.

Was destroyed in the 17th century.

Fântânele lake, at Beliş

Dealul Botii